Are you a firestarter?
If you have a passion for communication, creativity, community engagement, and diversity and inclusion, we want to hear from you. We are a fully virtual team that is spread across Canada and welcome talent from across the country. Take a look at our latest job posting.
Creative Fire is a 100% Indigenous-owned consulting agency that provides expert support in research, strategy, and creative execution. With deep Indigenous roots and more than two decades working alongside institutions, companies and leaders in Indigenous and non-Indigenous settings, we know that forging relationships between these two worlds poses challenges that takes unwavering commitment to solve. We help bridge gaps of understanding and build connections between Indigenous and non-Indigenous players, helping advance initiatives in such areas as: reputation management, diversity and inclusion, change management and more. From corporate reporting and recruitment to community and public relations, we work with clients to address their most important business, engagement and communications needs.
And, at the heart of Creative Fire is, well, a heart. As a purpose-driven company, we believe we can contribute to a more progressive, inclusive and diverse Canada. We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in our work and fostering it within our business. We encourage applications from applicants of all backgrounds and identities.
DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS – VIRTUAL POSITION
Apply before: July 30, 2021
JOB TITLE: Director, Communications
REPORTS TO: CEO
TYPE: Full-time, permanent (40 hours/week)
LOCATION: We are a fully virtual team that is spread across Canada. We welcome talent from across the country.
The Director of Communications provides overall leadership and management for a major functional area that directly affects strategic priorities of the business. The Director is an essential part of the Creative Fire leadership team, contributing to company strategy and senior-level decision making. S/he is responsible for developing and maintaining a cohesive strategy for the communications side of the business, leading and overseeing the communications team, and contributing senior strategic and content services for the company and its clients.
- Develop, implement and maintain a long-term cohesive strategy for the communications side of the business that aligns with other business arms and supports overall company objectives.
- Work with leadership team, staff and clients to understand and anticipate the future needs of the communications side of the business and develop innovative strategies and solutions.
- Develop targets, indicators and tools to evaluate the success of the communications team in relation to the strategy.
- Serve on the leadership team to determine strategic direction for the company, set goals, monitor performance and contribute to decision-making.
- In collaboration with the rest of the leadership team, develop policies, systems, procedures and standards which foster operational efficiency, mitigate risks, and achieve functional area results.
- Provide leadership on major projects for the company, related to communications services.
- Monitor project pipeline and progress, and strategically deploy resources to fulfill client needs and company objectives. Report and advise on existing and future resource capacity.
- Assemble and oversee a diversely skilled communications team.
- Develop and manage reporting team members, including selection, training, coaching, performance management and all other people practices.
- Manage performance concerns and disciplinary action in collaboration with HR and the CEO.
- Implement policies and practices which foster a working environment that is diverse, inclusive and supportive, and encourages employee engagement and belonging.
- Assign and evaluate work, approve deliverables before delivery to clients.
Strategy and Communications
- In collaboration with the business development team, manage relationships with clients from a variety of sectors to assess needs and understand goals. Build strong, collaborative relationships, and act as a trusted advisor.
- Lead strategy development for major clients, collaborating with Creative Fire’s research division, internal teams and external partners as needed. Define performance indicators and monitor success.
- Leverage the offerings of Creative Fire to the corporate sector – communications strategies, brand strategy/development, community engagement, crisis communications, reporting (annual/sustainability/financial), etc.
- Provide guidance and oversight for strategy and content development by communications team members.
- Utilize earned, paid, digital media and PR tactics to achieve strategic communications goals.
- Take a lead role in researching, writing and editing a wide range of compelling communications materials and content, working across all platforms and channels.
- Scope and estimate client projects, support strategy pitches and proposal development.
- Seek networking and community leadership opportunities to build Creative Fire’s profile, focusing on nuclear, energy and resources in Ontario, with a strong focus on nuclear.
- Support Creative Fire’s profile within the nuclear sector by fostering relationships with key clients and associations, such as the Canadian Nuclear Association (CNA), Organization of Canadian Nuclear Industries (OCNI), Bruce Power and Suppliers, Cameco, Ontario Power Generation (OPG).
- Enhance Creative Fire’s reputation as an expert in the nuclear space by creating and maintaining a thought leadership centre dedicated to highlighting the expertise of Des Nedhe employees and partners in the nuclear sector.
- Stay current on latest trends and best practices, provide insight and guidance to company leadership and internal teams on topics related to strategic communications.
- Find opportunities for innovation and partnerships.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
INCLUSION, DIVERSITY AND ACCESSIBILITY
As a purpose-driven company, we believe we can contribute to a more progressive, inclusive and diverse Canada. We are committed to promoting inclusion and diversity in our work and fostering it within our business. We are always looking for candidates who can expand our team culture and bring new strengths and perspectives to the work, and strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds and identities. An equitable and accessible recruitment process is a key part of our approach. Please let us know if we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more accessible.